* Some changes have been made to the rules/events for 2017. These have been circulated to members and the website will be updated in the new year.
2016 Off-Road and Ultra Championships
Although we were founded as a road running club, in recent years there has been a steady growth in participation off-road events and ultra-marathons (including a member of the club winning the UKA 100K championship and competing internationally for Scotland). In order to recognise this, in 2012 we inaugurated an Off-Road League and Ultra championship. The two main aims of this are:
- To encourage club participation in trail, hill and ultra events.
- To recognise the effort and achievement of those club members already competing in these events.
With this in mind, the championship has been designed to include a variety of events ranging from those suitable for novice or first time runners to more demanding and ultra distance events. This year there will be two separate competitions, each with male and female prizes: the Off-Road Championship and the Ultra Championship. The rules for both championships are as follows:
- Points will be awarded for participation in the races listed below, as follows: 1st Forfar RR – 10 points, 2nd – 8 points, 3rd – 6 points, all other finishers – 5 points.
- Bonus points are awarded for completing 5 races – 5 points; 10 races – 10 additional points. (complete all 10 ultras and you get 25 points and a bottle of single malt whisky – and your head examined!)
- No minimum number of races required.
- As this is a club championship, all runners MUST run in club colours, i.e. be entered in the race as Forfar Road Runners, AND be fully paid up members of the club.
- For 2015, ANY Scottish ultra (over 26.2 miles) can be included in the competition please contact Brian Bonnyman in advance to clear this. Please use the contact form – race results – to be included in the competition.
The races for each championship are as follows:
- Harriers v Cyclists – 27th December 2015 – too late, you’ve missed it!
- Newtyle Hill race (13th April 7.30pm) 7.8k 300m. Great wee hill race, mostly on trails. Note – not in Newtyle but Dunkeld!
- Laura’s Race (May am) – roughly 10K off-road round Murton Nature Reserve near Forfar.
- Kinnoull Hill Race (May 7.30pm) – 6.4k 240m. Short and fast hill race on well-marked trails: ideal introduction to hill running.
- Templeton Trail (June) On trails round Templeton Woods, Dundee.
- White Tops (Fri 1st July) 10.4k 360m. Great local hill race – starts in Kirkton of Auchterhouse.
- Johnston Tower Hill Race (July) Short run 5k run up Garvock Hill: Ask Ron and Liz for details.
- Balmullo trail race (August TBC) In Fife.
- Gateside Gallop (31st August TBC) 7k hilly trail race, also in Fife.
- Monymusk Hilly Half Marathon (16 October 11am)
- Dee 33 (2nd Saturday in March)
- Highland Fling (Last Saturday in April)
- Kintyre Way (? First Saturday in May)
- Cateran 55 and 110 (? 2nd Saturday/Sunday in May)
- West Highland Way (Saturday nearest longest day in June)
- Lairig Ghru (Last Sunday in June)
- Devil o’ the Highlands (1st Saturday in August)
- Speyside Way (3rd Saturday in August)
- River Ayr Way Challenge (17th September)
- Glen Ogle 33 (1st Saturday in November)